Sunday, February 1, 2009

Iceland Appoints First Ever Openly Gay Government Leader

It may be only an interim appointment, but a crack has opened in world government. Iceland appointed the first ever openly gay government leader and Iceland's first ever woman Prime Minister. In the midst of financial bankruptcy and decline, Iceland's government has collapsed and resigned. Whether they meant to do it or not, history has been made, with the naming of Johanna Sigurdardottir as the new prime minister.

The thing I think I like the most about PM Sigurdardottir's background is that she used to be a flight attendant. Now if anyone can keep a cool head in the midst of a maelstrom, it's a flight attendant. They are trained to save people in a time of extreme crisis. She has, of course, other qualifications, but that one thing is what puts a smile of my face. I wish her the best of success in her new position. Apparently she's going to jump right in and get to work at dealing with a government in crisis. Reminds me of someone else in a similar situation. I can just see the sleeves being rolled up as I type.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7863923.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7859258.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment