Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hometown: Poulsbo, Washington

(This entry was meant to post on May 2, 2009)

I have lived in a number of interesting and somewhat unusual places. While the place I'm going to tell you about today wasn't the first place I lived when I moved to Poulsbo, Washington, it was the only place where I've lived inside the city limits. I was in fact in the heart of the downtown area of historic Poulsbo, a Norwegian village not far from Seattle. I had an apartment right on Front Street on the Liberty Bay side of the road. If you've ever driven down into the heart of historic Poulsbo's downtown area, then you drove right past where I used to live. Just as you get to the four-way stop downtown, you come to the Olympic Outdoor Center, which rents kayaks and sells all manner of Northwest sports gear. I've provided a link to the shop so you can check it out if you'd like.

http://www.olympicoutdoorcenter.com/store.php


Above that shop there are two apartments. I lived in the one that was street side. If you looked out my front windows, you had a view of Front Street. If you looked out my side bedroom window, there was a view of Liberty Bay and the Sons of Norway meeting house. If you look at the building at their website, all the windows on the top half front side would have been mine because my apartment covered the entire front side of the building. On the side of the building, the first two windows were mine, the third was for the joint laundry room, and the last window was for the rear apartment, which was the larger of the two apartments.


View of Liberty Bay January 2004


View from front parking lot of Olympic Outdoor Center


View from across street, looking downtown


View of downtown Poulsbo from in front of my apartment


My car buried in snow in front of my apartment

The population of Poulsbo is about 7500, which is several hundred more than when I moved there in 2002. The sudden growth in population was caused by an expansion of the incorporated area of Poulsbo, rather than by a sudden influx of new people. During the year, various festivities occur in the downtown area. My absolute favorite is the art show in the summer. Some people get a thrill out of the 4th of July fireworks display (which generally occurs on the 3rd of July so as not to compete with Seattle's display, I suppose). Viking Fest, which happens mid-May, is also a big attraction. Below are links to Poulsbo websites:
http://poulsbo.net/downtown/
http://www.cityofpoulsbo.com/
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/puget/Poulsbo/Poulsbo.htm

Editor of AGNADL

No comments:

Post a Comment