Sunday, April 26, 2009

More Flowers Springing Forth

I've had these photos in my possession for a couple of weeks, so I need to post them before I lose track of them again. They are all from Flo Harrah and are taken in British Columbia near Vancouver. The first one is the lowly dandelion, which has been much aligned as a weed, but I always welcome them in my yard. Once the rains in the Seattle area are a thing of the past, and summer is dragging on without much moisture to speak of, these hardy flowers hang in there long after the green grass has gotten totally brown. Many times the dandelions are the only beautiful thing left growing in my yard. So sneer at them if you like, but I like the happy, sunny flowers and so does my young cat, Anjolie. She thinks they're yummy to eat, and so do some people I know. Apparently my grandparents used to eat dandelion greens. They'd have a feast of it in my yard.

Flo told me a story about dandelions from when she was growing up. "We kids on the block always snapped up a dandelion and in the sunshine held the bloom under a chin. The sun cast the yellow from the dandelion under the chin which only proved that you loved butter. No margarine in those days. Never played the game on a dull day, no reflection on that kinda day. What else could it denote but butter?"

So go play the dandelion game, eat dandelion greens with your kitty, or make some dandelion wine, but don't bother to tell me they're just a weed. The definition of a weed is a plant you don't want growing in your yard, and since I've known people who dug up rose bushes and got rid of them, I'd conclude that one person's nuisance plant is another one's joy.



Two-toned Daffodil



Rhododendron



Rockcress




Editor of AGNADL

No comments:

Post a Comment