Thursday, April 30, 2009

Time to Hum with Hummingbirds in the Pacific Northwest

I guess I should set up a hummingbird feeder or figure out what else to plant in my yard to draw them. Last spring I had a few in my yard, but nothing too noteworthy. In contrast, I used to get buzzed on a regular basis at the last place I lived and I didn't have a single feeder out for them. I would simply sit in my Adirondack chair and write poetry or essays while basking in the water view. A pretty innocuous activity, but apparently I was directly on the flight path of the hummingbirds in that yard. I must have inadvertently positioned my chairs in their air space. Whatever I did, it was pretty hysterical to sit there writing, pretty much just minding my own business, when I would suddenly hear the whir of their wings as they flew within inches of my head.

Maybe it was the poetry that attracted them. Perhaps I should forget the plants and go sit out in my chair and write verse. Who knows? Maybe there were simply some incredibly literary hummingbirds in that neighborhood. It's worth a try anyway, I'll let you know how my experiment works. In the meantime, if you live in the Pacific Northwest and want to draw hummingbirds to your yard, you'd better get out there and get busy setting up feeders and putting out tempting plants.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009149195_hummingbirds30m.html

Editor of AGNADL

No comments:

Post a Comment